Are you pregnant or newly postpartum and looking for a doula in Huntsville? Are you looking for unique questions to ask your doula at your initial consultation to make sure it’s a great fit?
Have you heard of Spotify’s Daylist? Spotify not only creates a playlist for you but it’s based on the day and time you’re looking at it. For example, yesterday afternoon mine was titled: “Anthem Boujee Wednesday Afternoon.” Right this moment, my daylist is titled “Rock-ish Alternative Thursday Afternoon”.
Just like Spotify creates your favorite Spotify daylist, finding the right doula team is about personal preference. it’s about getting to know them and making sure your personalities jive. Throw out the old “10 Questions to Ask a Doula” list and have some fun with it! Get all of your important questions answered like asking about insurance and certification, but…
Here are unique questions to ask your doula:
- How often can I contact you? What happens if I need you at 3:00 am when I’m only 30 weeks? (Just like your music, your support needs may change based on the day and the circumstances. Preterm delivery, or other emergency support- are your doulas available? When are you on call?)
- Tell me your doula superpowers! (Are they the newborn whisperer, massage magician, or relaxation guru? What makes them special?)
- What’s your philosophy on pain management during labor? (Epidural, breathing exercises, or something in between? Will you support me if I change my mind? Will you judge me if I make different decisions than you would?)
- Do you have a go-to comfort food for long labors? (Chocolate or coffee, anyone?)
- Can you share any funny stories? (Laughter is always a great stress relief and ice breaker!)
- What’s your take on birth or postpartum plans? (Do they have a template to share? What is their outlook if you don’t create one?)
- Tell me about your favorite birthing or postpartum playlist. (I mean, how could we not include this with the Spotify references?)
- Do you have any unique methods for relaxation in labor or when I’m stressed postpartum? (Could be anything from massage to dad jokes!)
- How do you feel about involving partners? (Are they supporting the entire family unit?)
- What’s your ultimate post-labor or postpartum shift treat? (It could be a decadent dessert, a peaceful bubble bath, or jamming to some great music in the car on the way home!)
Remember, choosing your doula is a lot like finding a perfect playlist – it could be sweet, it could be comforting, it could be funny, it could be exciting, but it should make you smile. Ask these unique questions to ask your doula and their answers could be music to your ears. 😉 (Hmm… dad puns anyone?)